Fast Company Running Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transcode Panasonic AG-HMC40 MTS to ProRes MOV for editing in FCP on Mac OS X lion

Go down

Transcode Panasonic AG-HMC40 MTS to ProRes MOV for editing in FCP on Mac OS X lion  Empty Transcode Panasonic AG-HMC40 MTS to ProRes MOV for editing in FCP on Mac OS X lion

Post  lydia870622 Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:22 am

Source From: Brorsoft

The Panasonic AG-HMC40 is one of the cheapest and smallest professional camcorders on the market. It can record FullHD 1080/60i, 1080/30p, 1080/24p AVCHD videos. Such a Professional 3MOS AVCCAM Handheld Camcorder, have you got one? If so, you may meet the trouble how to import Panasonic AG-HMC40 AVCHD to FCP for editing on Mac OS X?

In fact, AVCHD is not the compatible codec for Final Cut Pro including FCP 6,FCP 7, FCP X. Some users have found the solution Log & Transfer that can import and transcode AVCHD to ProRes, but there exits some limits. First, you’d make sure software version is FCP 6.0.6 or later. Secondly, you’d make sure the MTS files to be in the AVCHD structure. The most important is that you can't get HD quality as you want. Thus how to transfer and edit Panasonic AG-HMC40 AVCHD in FCP without rendering.

You only need to go to Google and download a top AVCHD to FCP Converter to help you convert Panasonic AG-HMC40 MTS/M2TS recordings to FCP compatible format. Here I take Brorsoft Mac AVCHD Converter for FCP as an example. I have successfully used it to transcode Panasonic AG-HMC40 AVCHD footage to Apple ProRes 422 MOV for editing in FCP on my Mac. I can get the best video quality and save the rendering time. Below is the easy guide on converting AVCHD to ProRes for FCP 6/7 or FCP X.

STEP 1: Launch the AVCHD to ProRes Converter for Mac and load the MTS/M2TS files to it.
Tip: If you wanna join MTS/M2TS files for Final Cut Express, please check the "Merge into one" box.

STEP 2: Click on Format, and from the dropdown menu, we recommend Final Cut Pro > Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) (.*mov) as the output format for FCP. Then you can set the output folder as you want.

STEP 3: Click the “Settings” icon and you’d better set the video frame rate as 30fps, video size as 1920*1080 for editing AG-HMC40 AVCHD in FCP with best quality.

STEP 4: Start to convert Panasonic AG-HMC40 MTS to ProRes for FCP on Mac OS X via clicking the “Convert” icon. When the AVCHD to Apple ProRes codec transcoding process is completed, you can get the converted .mov files to FCP for editing on Mac OS X without any problem.

Related guides:

Convert Panasonic AG-HMC40 MTS to AIC for Final Cut Express

Transcode Panasonic AG-AC160 AVCHD to Final Cut Pro 7

Convert Panasonic AG-AF100 AVCHD to ProRes for FCP

lydia870622

Back to top Go down