Fast Company Running Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fred Willard Will Return to Modern FamilyModern Family - Fred Willard

Go down

Fred Willard Will Return to Modern FamilyModern Family - Fred Willard Empty Fred Willard Will Return to Modern FamilyModern Family - Fred Willard

Post  danggui Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:25 am

Fans of ever-smiling comedy icon Fred Willard will be pleased to learn that Phil Dunphy's father Frank will be pulling his RV back into Modern Family next season thanks to a casting match made in heaven (with a little help from series star Ty Burrell).
"They said that I should be back, because they asked me for my photo to put in the hallway there on the set — that I'm part of the family now!" Willard tells TV Guide Magazine. The actor, who rose to prominence on the 70s series Fernwood Tonight and director Christopher Guest's improved film oeuvre, credits Burrell for bringing him into the Dunphy clan.
"I worked with Ty on Back to You with Kelsey Grammer and I'd never seen him before — and I loved him!" said Willard. "He made me laugh so much. He was the on-the-spot reporter, and I got to be quite friendly with him. He's an awfully nice guy, and I think he was pretty instrumental in having me on the show. He kept talking to [co-creator] Steve Levitan, saying 'We've got to get Fred on!' So we had a lot of fun The Tribe series 1-5, and we have the same sense of humor. And he's just a nice guy!"
Burrell tells TV Guide Magazine that he feels Willard's trademark comic persona was essentially the template for the relentlessly upbeat, well-intentioned and un-self-aware Phil, and was the only choice to play his papa.
"I couldn't imagine a more perfect fit," said Burrell. "It was so inspired, I thought, that Phil be the son of that archetype that Fred does so perfectly, which is a really loveable guy that doesn't know the he's maybe not as funny as he thinks. I think Phil is almost like an homage to the career achievement of Fred Willard. It's kind of a perfect marriage in my mind, and I think the writers are thrilled to write for the two of us."
Throughout his career, Willard has guest-starred or had recurring roles on countless classic series — among his credits: Laverne & Shirley, The Bob Newhart Show Battlestar Galactica box set, The Golden Girls Band of Brothers complete box set, Roseanne, Friends, Mad About You Star Trek The Next Generation complete set, Ally McBeal and Everybody Loves Raymond. And he's recently become something of a no-so-secret weapon when it comes to strategic casting,
"I did a Chuck and I did a Castle" in addition to his Modern Family turn, said Willard. "They were all shown in the month of May, and people must have been like 'Oh, this guy again... Why can't they give someone else a break?' But that's how it is — it's great fun. We'll see what the new season holds!"
Subscribe to TV Guide Magazine now!

Doctor Who season 1-5
dr who dvd box
Heroes dvd set
Cold Case dvd box
Star Trek The Original Series dvds
Dexter complete set
Band of Brothers complete box set
Baby Einstein complete series
Ally McBeal complete set
Married With Children season dvd 1-11
The Tribe box set