Fast Company Running Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Chicago Code

Go down

The Chicago Code  Empty The Chicago Code

Post  melody Mon May 30, 2011 3:03 am

In The Chicago Code (whose title is a sort-of spiritual successor to “the Chicago way”), Detective Jarek Wysocki (Jason Clarke) and Police Commissioner Teresa Colvin (Jennifer Beals) embark on a similarly difficult quest: rooting out crime in a city known for corruption and taking down a powerful alderman with ties to the Irish mob. Like Malone, however, the pair aren’t afraid of the job, giving us one of the best new pilots of the year.

Shawn Ryan’s previous attempt at a police show (not counting the critically-acclaimed but canceled private eye drama, Terriers) was the popular FX show The Shield. Unlike The Shield, however, which explored the moral gray areas of law enforcement via the notoriously corrupt cop Vic Mackey, The Chicago Code is a much more straight-forward “good guys vs. bad guys” drama.

Don’t confuse straight-forward for boring though, as the pilot episode offers plenty of excitement and hints at an engaging overarching plot that is a refreshing change of pace from the many “case of the week” cop shows on TV already.

The Chicago Code charactersScarecrow and Mrs King seasons 1-2 dvd

The cast of The Chicago Code gives uniformly excellent performances in the pilot episode. Of particular note is Jason Clarke as veteran detective Jarek Wysocki. At first I wasn’t sure about Wysnowski. I hate it when writers try and give a character depth by forcing odd quirks onto them (for example, Wysocki doesn’t tolerate cursing, but he’s content to cheat on his fiancee with his ex-wife).
How I met your mother season 6 dvd
Over the course of the show though, Clarke’s performance wore me down. By the end of the episode, I believed in Wysocki’s mission, and I trusted his instincts as a cop. Of course, one reason I was able to click with the character was because of the very solid performances from those around him, including Beals and Wysocki’s partner, Caleb Evers (played by Matt Lauria of Friday Night Lights). On his own, Wysocki could easily be just another tough guy cop, but the other cast members balance him, helping to make sure the show isn’t dominated by one personality. Justice-League-The-Complete-Seasons-1-6-DVD

One other performance worth mentioning is Delroy Lindo as corrupt alderman Ronin Gibbons. Lindo is an underrated character actor who rarely does bad work, and here he provides a nice foil to the blue collar Wysocki. In the pilot, Gibbons strikes me as a bad man, but not an evil one. In a voiceover, he talks about why he’s successful as a politician, explaining that he gets things done for the right people. Isn’t that what politics is all about?

melody

http://www.collectcheapdvd.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum