Fast Company Running Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wonders of the Laser Younger

Go down

Wonders of the Laser Younger Empty Wonders of the Laser Younger

Post  tongqu Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:42 am

When adults who 100mw blue laser fancy themselves serious artists decide they want to say something about 100mw laser pointer childhood, I expect contrivance. We were all 100mw red laser kids once, but childhoods are the special, scare-quoted 10mw green laser province of neurotics and their 10mw laser pointer analysts, and so art about childhood is more likely to buy lasers online give a petulant prehistory of a specific adult's own issues than to buy wholesale electronics say anything at all about what kids do or feel 200mw green laser. Spike Jonze's improbably joyless Where the 200mw laser pointer Wild Things Are was stuffed with scenes where 20mw green laser kids and monsters rapped about their existential 250mw green laser anxieties, while Arcade Fire is often at their least 250mw laser pointer convincing when they wail about "the 300mw green laser kids" or "us kids," as though everyone under the age of majority belonged to buy red laser one mysterious tribe. Plain White T's does not take 300mw laser pointer especially seriously, and so I ventured to hope that 30mw green laser Wonders of the Younger, a carnival-themed concept 30mw laser pointer album about, yes, childhood, 500mw green laser might actually work. After all, playing in a pop-emo 150mw laser pointer band is about as close as one can get to being a 150mw green laser kid forever.

Take the opener "Irrational Anthem." On one hand, I think an actual 50MW green laser kid would enjoy the best laser pointer song. Its chanted chorus goes, "We don't care if 5mw green laser don't understand us/This is our irrational anthem," and 532nm laser pointer sounds like the type of thing a bunch of 532nm green laser kids would sing at summer camp. But how many black laser pointer summer-camp tunes can you think of that you'd actually want to hear on the blue beam laser radio? A healthy chunk of the album follows in that blue laser pen vein, the problem being that the band seems to buy blue laser forget the difference between giving their blue laser pointer songs hooks and just mercilessly wedging blue light laser into their listeners' heads. There's a blue ray laser chorus about a "bah bah-bah-bah bah-bah broken cheap blue laser record" (on "Broken Record"), and another where the whole band sings, "I want to buy green laser have a party in the middle of the cheap laser pointer street" ("Cirque Dans La Rue"). Memorable in their own right while lacking a strong cheap laser pointers melody, these kinds of songs will either endear themselves to buy laser pointer or drive you absolutely crazy.

One of the few respected rock bands that has mined this cheap red lasers territory successfully is discount laser pointers They Might Be Giants; most of their work takes kids laser torch flashlight music as a touchstone, and they've also done a couple of laser pointer pen albums of educational tunes for laser pointer keychain children. Crucially, though, neither incarnation of TMBG breaks laser for sale. Their music might not be "serious," but, at the same laser beam pointer time, the band isn't bullshitting you. But Plain White T's only half-commit: There are plenty of "real" flashlight laser pointer songs on Wonders of the Younger, and the more simplistic sing-alongs sound boorish and annoying in their company. When "The Rhythm of Love" green beam laser chimes in with its jangly, AOR-ready acoustics, green light laser 'll have no choice but to look back on the previous three tracks and ask, "Wait, were they bullshitting me?"

Worst of all are the in-betweens, the chunky-riffed pop-rock numbers that sound like only-slightly-dumber variations of green laser pointer songs by mall-punk mainstays like the Starting Line or Yellowcard. Or the not-even-close-to-creepy "Killers," which stretches its lyrical conceit to ludicrous extremes until highest power laser Tom Higgenson asks, "If I was the scariest monster you ever seen/Would you still love green laser pen?" These songs don't read as for-kids, or even as homages to kids music. They just sound juvenile in the familiar, perpetually adolescent style so common to their genre.

tongqu

Back to top Go down