Fast Company Running Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prime-time television tackles autism

Go down

Prime-time television tackles autism Empty Prime-time television tackles autism

Post  ellachan91 Thu May 27, 2010 3:21 am

In a scene from NBC's "Parenthood," two parents are Criminal Minds DVD to get their 8-year-old son ready for school. The child insists on wearing a pirate costume to class, again. His father asks him to take it off so he won't get CSI: Las vegas DVD set. His mother says it's OK, mainly so she can get him out the door on time.

It could be a scene from any prime-time Bones DVD boxset. But its context in "Parenthood" is unusual.

The 8-year-old boy, the son of main Boston Legal DVD boxset Adam and Kristina Braverman, has been diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, an autism spectrum disorder.

What is Asperger's syndrome?

Perhaps because tackling a sensitive Criminal Minds DVD boxset such as living with a child with special needs can take a deft touch from the writers, producers and actors, a storyline dealing with autism spectrum CSI: Las vegas DVD boxset isn't something that's been portrayed often in Hollywood.

The most recent regular prime-time Bones season 1-4 DVD boxset with Asperger's was Jerry Espenson on ABC's "Boston Legal Seasons 1-5 DVD boxset." The character's run lasted from 2005 until the show ended in 2008. Another ABC show, "Grey's Anatomy," introduced a short term character during the 2008-2009 Criminal Minds season 1-4 DVD boxset. Dr. Virginia Dixon appeared in a three-episode arc.

"Parenthood" is one of the few CSI: Las vegas seasons 1-9 DVD boxset that have included a regular character with Asperger's from the beginning.

The show has gotten good reviews in general and favorable Bones DVD from people affected by the disorder.

One CNN.com reader named Dani, who has an 8-year-old with Boston Legal DVD's, wrote, "Overall I think it's been really true to the behavior our Aspie kids display -- which is often confused for being naughty or a lack of Criminal Minds DVD set. Thanks for doing your homework NBC!"

Because the show has received good reviews and positive CSI: Las vegas DVD from families affected by the disorder, it may seem apparent that including a character with Asperger's was a good move. Executive Bones DVD Set Jason Katims says it wasn't so clear at the beginning.

"I think there were moments Boston Legal DVD set had of whether to do it, including myself," he said. "I felt like it was a big thing to take on. It's a very personal thing to me."

He's not exaggerating. He has a son with the Criminal Minds DVD, and though he had an intimate knowledge of dealing with Asperger's, he sought out experts to help shape the characters and the stories.

"When I decided to take this on, I felt an CSI: Las vegas DVD set responsibility to make this as real as possible," he says. The show consults with psychologists, teachers and other parents "to make the depiction of both this Bones DVD boxset and his parents as accurate as possible."

A behavioral therapist consultant works with Max Burkholder, the Boston Legal DVD boxset who plays Max Braverman, and with Monica Potter and Peter Krause, the actors who play Max's parents, Kristina and Adam Braverman.

The consultant also works with other cast Criminal Minds DVD boxset whose characters interact with Max and with the show's directors.

NBC has been very supportive, Katims adds. He said there was a CSI: Las vegas DVD boxset with the network, not about whether to introduce the storyline, but how quickly.

Peter Bell, the executive vice president of Autism Speaks, the country's largest Bones season 1-4 DVD boxset science and advocacy organization, said his group hadn't worked with "Parenthood" on scripts, but Bell was on set recently to be a part of the May 18th Boston Legal Seasons 1-5 DVD boxset. He had a chance to talk with the actors and production staff.

Bell called the cast and crew "thirsty" for information about Asperger's and autism. "I was really struck by how wonderful they all were and how Criminal Minds season 1-4 DVD boxset in the topic they are."

The work the cast and crew has put into the CSI: Las vegas seasons 1-9 DVD boxset seems to have drawn the audience's interest. The day after the episode in which Max was diagnosed, Asperger's was one of the most searched subjects on Google.

That pleased Katims. He says a Bones DVD like Max can help take the mystery out of Asperger's, which is important for people who are dealing with the disorder.

Not everyone has been pleased with "Boston Legal DVD's" treatment of autism. CherieT commented on CNN's Marquee blog that the show "misses the mark sometimes on Asperger's traits." She says while she's glad to see a Criminal Minds DVD set trying, "Parenthood" gets more things wrong than right.

Blogher.com writer Angela Timpone, the owner of a CSI: Las vegas DVD that supports families with autism and the mother of a boy who was diagnosed with autism five years ago, has taken issue with how the writers are handling Max's education.

In an early episode, Adam and Kristina meet with a teacher at Max's public Bones DVD Set, who says Max doesn't fit there. Max is almost immediately moved to a private school. In her post, Timpone notes laws require public schools to provide an Boston Legal DVD set to all students, even if the schools must make accommodations for special needs students. She said the writers could have drawn some good Criminal Minds DVD from showing Kristina and Adam advocating for Max in the public school.

"I know the drama of it all was captivating. There's also CSI: Las vegas DVD set in the fact [parents of autistic kids] have trouble with the public school system," she said.

She also thinks the show hasn't delved deeply enough into the financial and emotional Bones DVD boxset an autism diagnosis can put on a family. She understands the show can only do so much, but "I wish maybe they had dialogue about how this costs so much money," and how making Boston Legal DVD boxset in a child's care and education can change the family dynamic.

Katims expected criticism. "I would be critical because I know what it's like," he says. "You want to beCriminal Minds DVD boxset to the situation, but you're also storytellers."

Timpone says she enjoys the CSI: Las vegas DVD boxset, and through her Facebook page, she's heard from other moms of autistic children who liked the depiction of what Kristina Braverman goes through.

She says it's great more people are hearing about Bones season 1-4 DVD boxset, "but it's not the regular autism family story."
Bones DVD Set
Bones DVD boxset
2.boston legal
Boston Legal Seasons 1-5 DVD boxset
Boston Legal DVD
Boston Legal DVD set
Boston Legal DVD boxset
3.criminal minds
Criminal Minds season 1-4 DVD boxset
Criminal Minds DVD set
Criminal Minds DVD
Criminal Minds DVD boxset