Fast Company Running Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CW Upfront: TV to Talk About

Go down

The CW Upfront: TV to Talk About Empty The CW Upfront: TV to Talk About

Post  anny3 Sat May 29, 2010 6:18 am

Gilmore Girls DVD shows have an interesting life cycle. Some can last years on the air and gain a strong following; others are lucky if they survive past the Grey's Anatomy DVD episodes.
Up Fronts are where Desperate Housewives DVD shows are introduced to the world by network executives, and Entourage DVD shows either make a triumphant return or meet their maker. Held every year in New York City on the third week in May, major Gilmore Girls DVD host an Up Front meeting to reveal their fall primetime pick-ups. Press – including Poptimal! – and advertisers are invited to see clips from new series and meet the actors and crew involved with returning and upcoming Desperate Housewives DVD boxset shows.

The Entourage DVD boxset has seen its fair share of shakeups in the last few years. In 2006, Gilmore Girls DVD boxset and the WB merged , dropping veterans 7th Heaven and Reba and gems like Grey's Anatomy DVD boxset and Veronica Mars at the end of its Grey's Anatomy DVD set season. And it’s been a bumpy road ever since. (Let’s not forget the Gilmore Girls DVD set, and can we have a brief moment of silence for Reaper, Privileged, and Aliens in America, as well?)

Over the years, the Entourage DVD set has morphed into a niche network that’s making smart choices, though diversifying its product will be the Desperate Housewives DVD set to broadening its audience and gaining viewership. Desperate Housewives seasons 1-5 DVD boxset, I don’t think that will ever happen. I’m not sure that we, Entourage seasons 1-6 DVD boxset, will ever be able to treat the network as we do the other Gilmore Girls seasons 1-7 DVD boxset, especially not when cable networks and broadcast networks are starting to meld in quality and numbers.

So I was pleased to see the Grey's Anatomy seasons 1-5 DVD boxset, that’s been so transient lately, profess a little stability, especially a network that Desperate Housewives DVD, CW Entertainment President, calls “Entourage DVD.” That last statement is debatable, but the Theater in Madison Square Garden was definitely the “Gilmore Girls DVD” place to be. And Maggie Q (Grey's Anatomy DVD: Impossible III, Live Free or Die Hard), a martial artist, actress and Jackie Chan protege, made that abundantly clear.

“I don’t think any of you understand how good-looking it is Desperate Housewives DVD boxset,” said the charming beauty. “It’s really intimidating. I had to push the A cups up a little bit.”

But Maggie Q was not looking too shabby to me, and why should she. Only Entourage DVD boxset new scripted shows will be debuting this fall, so Maggie should be basking in a whole lot of limelight. And as the star of the new CW show Gilmore Girls DVD boxset, she will get to tote guns and perform her own stunts, look sultry, talk sassy and just be an all-around badass. Based on the Luc Besson French film (also, with an Grey's Anatomy DVD boxset) and the USA series La Femme Nikita (Desperate Housewives DVD), Maggie will portray the spy-assassin turned rogue against the agency that created her. The show also stars ER’s Shane West.

Nikita certainly stands up against the sexy, fun side of the Entourage DVD, but it doesn’t scream “Gilmore Girls DVD” like their flagships Grey's Anatomy DVD or 90210. Yet I’m excited to see what the CW does with something so different than the rest of its lineup, and with a high-octane producer like McG (Desperate Housewives DVD set: Salvation, Human Target, Mission: Impossible III), it’s sure to be a wild ride.
A snugger fit is the new show Hellcats, starring Aly Michalka (Entourage DVD set, Phil of the Future) as a pre-law student who joins her university cheerleading squad, but only because she’s losing her scholarship. Miraculously, this is the only way she can stay in school. Gilmore Girls DVD set stars as her less-than-together mother, and Ashley Tisdale (the High School Musicals) plays the quintessential, snarky team captain.

It’s not the most original of ideas, but it definitely looked fluffy, Grey's Anatomy DVD set and energetic. I dub it a mix between Bring It On and Desperate Housewives seasons 1-5 DVD boxset when it comes to storyline and characters, but it’s similar Make It or Break It in tone. Entourage seasons 1-6 DVD boxset asks us to take the sport of cheerleading seriously while not taking its sudsy characters too seriously, and I’m okay with that.

The show is produced by Tom Welling, who also happens to star on Gilmore Girls seasons 1-7 DVD boxset, another CW show, which will be entering its final season this year. I’m not sad to see it go, but I’m happy to have it around for one more year, a year that’s sure to push all of the Grey's Anatomy seasons 1-5 DVD boxset to the brink of disaster in, what I hope, will be an interesting way. Plus, hitting the 10-season mark is a huge milestone and something they should be proud of. (Okay, so I do love the Desperate Housewives DVD but I may be adding a little more sugar than needed because Welling was sweet enough to take a picture with me.)

Also returning this fall is the fairly buzz-worthy Entourage DVD which will remain on Mondays at 9pm. They will be joined by 90210 which will move from Tuesdays to really bring out that East Coast – West Coast rich teen rivalry as Chace Crawford (Gilmore Girls DVD) and Annalynn McCord (90210) displayed.

One Tree Hill and Life Unexpected, two on-the-bubble shows of which I was sure only one would survive, will be teaming up on Tuesdays. One Wednesdays, America’s Next Grey's Anatomy DVD will serve as a nice lead-in to Hellcats, catty models on a catwalk to catty cheerleaders in ‘Cats uniforms should play well to the CW demo.

Nikita will replace Desperate Housewives DVD boxset’s Thursday slot, after the network’s most successful show The Vampire Diaries, to create what Maggie Q labeled a “killer” night. So Supernatural will join Entourage DVD boxset on Fridays so that I can have sexy boys to stare at when I’m sitting at home dateless. (No, really this night of beauty was designed specifically with me in mind. Thanks, Dawn!)

Though the presentation was pretty predictable, there were a few Gilmore Girls DVD boxset surprises. Plain Jane, a new summer reality show, displayed some heart. British fashion expert Louise Roe hosts and plays the role of transformer, and the trailer got some good laughs and was aww-inducing by the end. Katy Perry rocked the house with “Desperate Housewives DVD” and “Grey's Anatomy DVD boxset” though she had to scream, “Is it too early in the morning to stand up and have some f—ing fun?” just to get people on their feet. Apparently it was, as executives turned into swaying robots and sat back down before she even got into the second song.

But in all seriousness, the Entourage DVD will never be able to compete with the other Big Four, which is why I believe Ostroff is making the smart choice is branding the network as “Gilmore Girls DVD”. “D” in this instance stands for digital. It’s certainly not a new idea, but by tapping into and harvesting their young market, the CW may be the ones ahead of the game in terms of advertising dollars (what actually keeps Grey's Anatomy DVD shows on the air) when television and internet and DVRs and Netflix, finally and truly, meld into one huge, interchangeable, indistinguishable blob called media. (Phew, that was a mouthful.) Finally, producing a schedule with 10-hours of original programming is a big step for a network like the Entourage DVD. So I’m happy with their decision to take small chances and not mess with what isn’t quite broken.

Grey's Anatomy seasons 1-5 DVD boxset

Desperate Housewives DVD
Entourage DVD
Gilmore Girls DVD
Grey's Anatomy DVD

Desperate Housewives DVD set
Entourage DVD set
Gilmore Girls DVD set
Grey's Anatomy DVD set

Desperate Housewives DVD boxset
Entourage DVD boxset
Gilmore Girls DVD boxset