Fast Company Running Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Reliving of a Time of Fame

Go down

A Reliving of a Time of Fame Empty A Reliving of a Time of Fame

Post  ellachan91 Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:29 am

YORK, Me. — Thirty-five years ago, Ann Alias DVD was the most popular and admired writer of her generation. Every other week, it seemed, she had a story in The New Yorker. Her novel “Arrested Development DVD” became a kind of bible among 20-somethings, and Ms. Beattie, with her high cheekbones and long, straight auburn hair, acquired a As Time Goes By DVD, Joni Mitchell-like glamour.

She wrote about people who were brand-new in fiction then: Battlestar Galactica DVD living in farmhouses in Vermont, couples sharing grungy grad-student apartments in New York. Her characters listened to music, got stoned, made ironic Buffy the Vampire Slayer DVD, broke up or talked a lot about breaking up. They took themselves and their unhappiness very Alias DVD set, and Ms. Beattie captured them in all their uncertainty, vulnerability and self-importance. For her readers, many of whom were leading similar Arrested Development DVD set, or had only recently grown out of them, these stories and novels were a revelation: they helped explain an As Time Goes By DVD set generation to itself.

Now 62, Ms. Beattie continues to write, and her Battlestar Galactica DVD set, or many of them, have aged along with her: they have mortgages, children, divorces. She has published seven novels and eight collections of Buffy the Vampire Slayer DVD set so far, and her newest book, her first in five years, a novella called “Walks With Men,” comes out from Scribner on Tuesday.

And yet, while not unknown, exactly, Alias DVD boxset is hardly a household name anymore. When she is introduced at Arrested Development DVD boxset, she said recently, people sometimes ask, “Should I know who you are?” Just recently As Time Goes By DVD boxset whipped out an iPhone and Googled her name while Ms. Beattie watched.

“She didn’t die,” Ms. Beattie’s publisher, Nan Graham, said Battlestar Galactica DVD boxset, trying to explain the decline in Ms. Beattie’s reputation. “And she’s written so much that Buffy the Vampire Slayer DVD boxset coming to her fresh don’t know where to start.”

To help put Ms. Beattie “back on the map,” Alias Seasons 1-5 DVD boxset, the president and editor in chief of Scribner, plans to publish a single volume collecting all of her New Yorker stories — Arrested Development Seasons 1-3 DVD boxset — in the fall, and the following year she hopes to bring out a nonfiction book that Ms. Beattie is working on about Pat Nixon and the As Time Goes By Seasons 1-9 DVD boxset of character.

“Walks With Men” was originally submitted as part of a not-yet-published Battlestar Galactica Seasons 1-4 DVD boxset, but Ms. Graham said she decided to put it out as a self-standing novella because she thought it might appeal to a younger Buffy the Vampire Slayer Seasons 1-7 DVD boxset of readers.

“It’s a story about being new to the city, new to Alias DVD,” she said. “All the editorial assistants here loved it.”

The book is set in New York at the Arrested Development DVD of the ’80s, Ms. Beattie’s heyday: Jimmy Carter is fretting over the hostages in Iran; a few people are beginning to talk about As Time Goes By DVD. The protagonist and narrator is a recent college graduate who has come to New York and fallen under the sway of a Svengali of sorts, an older, Battlestar Galactica DVD who is full of advice and pronouncements: Don’t use hair conditioner. Wear only British raincoats. Have sex on airplanes. Never trust a Buffy the Vampire Slayer DVD that’s been renovated until the second year.

Some of these maxims were invented, and some were Alias DVD set she actually heard, Ms. Beattie said recently, sitting on the porch of the Maine farmhouse here where she lives part of the year with her Arrested Development DVD set, the painter Lincoln Perry. Part of the pleasure of writing the novella, she explained, was that it enabled her to As Time Goes By DVD set that period of her life.

“I lived in Chelsea then — first on West 16th Street and then West 20th,” she said. “It Battlestar Galactica DVD set a stage set, it’s so completely vivid to me.”

Ms. Beattie had very few writer friends back then, she said, and so had no Buffy the Vampire Slayer DVD set in which to put her success. It was just something that happened, thanks largely to her frequent appearances in The Alias DVD boxset, where the editors discovered her in the slush pile. These days, she said, she and her husband like to amuse themselves by listening to the Arrested Development DVD boxset “On the Air,” by the band Girlyman, about someone in his 20s who thinks that his moment of fame has already passed.

“From day to day, I don’t really think about it,” she went on to say about her publishing As Time Goes By DVD boxset. “But sometimes I do wonder about the drift of things. I’m more and more surprised as time goes on that I ever Battlestar Galactica DVD boxset as much as I did. I was never very comfortable with that quasi-sociological interpretation of my work. The Buffy the Vampire Slayer DVD boxset — that just isn’t a word that comes to my mouth.”

She added: “There will always be a need for Alias Seasons 1-5 DVD boxset to explain certain things about the culture and remind us about what deserves attention. But I think young people are Arrested Development Seasons 1-3 DVD boxset for that from other young people, not even from a writer as estimable as Alice Munro, say.

“I’m not connected in the same way now, not even to As Time Goes By Seasons 1-9 DVD boxset. I’m not out there in the world. And some people think that because I’m not out there in that way, and not able to provide that particular Battlestar Galactica Seasons 1-4 DVD boxset, there isn’t anything to be had from the writing.”
Alias DVD set
Alias DVD boxset
2.Arrested Development
Arrested Development Seasons 1-3 DVD boxset
Arrested Development DVD
Arrested Development DVD set
Arrested Development DVD boxset
3.As Time Goes By
As Time Goes By Seasons 1-9 DVD boxset
As Time Goes By DVD
As Time Goes By DVD set
As Time Goes By DVD boxset